Agedashi tofu was the ultimate best selling appetizer at Tanpopo Noodle Shop. What made this dish so special was the marriage of creaminess of tofu, crunchiness of skin, savory broth and fresh ginger. It is still one of our favorites to make at home. For young eaters, skip the ginger and green onions. Bon appetite!
-Thank you, Doug, Avery, and Eliot Johnson for the hand-made bowls.
- 6 cubes silken tofu 130 gram total
- cornstarch for dusting
- salad oil for deep frying
- 1/2 cup broth
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 sping chopped green onion
- bonito flakes for garnish
- 1/2 cup dashi
- 2.5 tablespoon mirin
- 2.5 tablespoon soy sauce
- Cut tofu into cubes and drain water on a paper towel.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees.
- Make the sauce and keep it warm.
- Pat tofu dry with a paper towel and dust each tofu cubes with cornstarch.
- Deep fry tofu, about 3 minutes.
- In a serving bowl, put fried tofu, ginger and green onion, then pour the broth. Garnish with bonito flakes and serve immediately.