This is what my children would ask for dinner as soon as the weather warms up: Chilled curly wheat noodle topped with cool cucumber, crunchy carrots, juicy and vibrant tomato and chilled and shredded meat (or substitute tofu) drizzled with refreshing sesame vinaigrette. Most of all, this salad-like noodle dish has well-balanced ingredients (grain, vegetable, protein, seeds, egg), the balance of flavor element (sweet, sour, salty, fatty, and pungent), and will make you full and satisfied.
Toppings for Hiyashi Chuka is forgiving, and you can add almost anything to make it your own. To make vegetarian, we substitute meat with sliced kitsune, follow the instructions for making abura-age in the recipe below:
Hiyashi Chuka, Chilled Ramen
- Suribachi (Japanese mortar)
- Surikogi (Japanese pestle)
- 16 oz cooked ramen noodles
- 6 slices cucumber julienned
- 6 slices carrots julienned
- 1/4 medium tomato cut into 4 wedges
- 6 oz chilled and shredded chicken or pork substitute 6 pockets of Kitsune for vegetarian
- 4 sheets Kinshi-Tamago
- 1 spring green onion green parts chopped
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Karashi Mustard optional
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 pinches salt
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil for cooking
- Gather ingredients
Make Sesame Dressing:
- Grind sesame seeds using Suribachi and Surikogi (Japanese mortar and pestle).
- In a medium jar, combine ground sesame seeds, sugar, soy sauce, rice vinegar, water, and sesame oil. Cover with a lid and shake it vigorously. Keep it in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Mix eggs, sugar, and salt in a bowl.
- Heat a small frying pan and drizzle one teaspoon of cooking oil. Pour a quarter of the egg mixture to the pan and spread it around to cover the pan. When the egg is about to set, flip the sheet using a spatula or chopsticks.
- As soon as the egg is cooked, transfer it to a cutting board. Make three more sheets.
- To Chiffonade Tamago: Stack the sheets of Tamago on top of each other and roll them into a cigar.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the egg into ribbons.
Make Hiyashi Chuka:
- Prep ingredients.
- Cook the rame noodles according to the package instructions (or make your own). Rinse the noodle under cold water to remove excess starch and to make it chilled. Drain the noodles well.
- Portion the noodles on each plate. Arrange the prepared ingredients from top to bottom, mimicking the flower. Make sure to alter the color to make it visually appealing. Drizzle the dressing and top and garnish with chopped green onions and sprinkle of sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.