Yakitori is a popular street and bar food. Most commonly it is cooked on a grill over high heat. However,to make this quick and easy, we’ll just pan fry these skewers. This does have some advantageous. It’s quick and easy to control the heat. Plus you can make a delicious thickened pan sauce to finish your skewers with. Serve it a wedge of lime or lemon and garnish with sansho or shichimi pepper.
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 1/4 cup dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 onion and green onion, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 pound of chicken thighs (deboned)
- bamboo skewers
- oil, as needed
Makes about 4-6 skewers.
1. Thread pieces of chicken and onion onto skewers as desired (about 3-4 pieces of chicken and 3-4 pieces of onion per skewer)
2. Heat oil in pan until very hot, then brown skewers on each side.
3. Reduce heat and cook for about 5 minutes until done.
4. Turn heat back to high and add mirin and deglaze pan. Add grated ginger.
5. Add soy sauce and reduce sauce until desired thickness.
6. Remove skewers, plate, add sauce, and garnish and enjoy.
By the way, as you might notice the bbq in the background on the photo above. I actually didn’t pan-fry these of course, I seemed to have misplaced my other yakitori image.