Ponzu sauce is a secret weapon of the Japanese kitchen. It’s easy-to-make and versatile. Your guests will ask you, “How did you make this sauce?” Try it with broiled fish. It’s also used in one-pot dishes such as shabu-shabu.
- 1 cup dark soy sauce
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 lemon (you can also trying using different citrus flavors
like lime, lemon-lime, yuzu)
- small handful of bonito flakes
- Combine soy sauce and rice vinegar into a small sauce pan.
- Cut lemon into 2-3 slices and add to sauce pan.
- Heat slowly to unitl mixture is just about to bowl. Turn off heat and add bonito flakes.
- Set aside to cool and strain.
This will keep quite a while in the refrigerator. However, it’s best used within about 3 weeks.