Here’s the recipe for making a California roll – probably the most popular inside-out roll in America.
1. Prepare and cook sushi rice. Gather up all of your ingredients: nori, sliced cucumber, avocado and crab mix. For the crab mix, the easiest way to prepare this is to buy some high-quality canned crab, rinse and drain well, and then mix with mayonnaise.
2. Tightly wrap your makisu (bamboo) mat with food film wrap and then place half sheet of nori, rough side up, on your bamboo mat. Wet hands and place a small handful of rice on mat as shown. You can also do this directly on the cutting board if you prefer.
3. Spread rice evenly across nori.
4. Turn over so rice side is now facing down. It may help to slightly moisten your mat to prevent the rice from sticking. Place cucumber, avocado and crab mix on nori, about 1/3 up from the edge of the nori (nearest the table).
4. Press in the filling while rolling the mat. Do this with two hands.
5. Cover the roll with the mat and press down slightly to help shape the sushi roll. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Cut in half and then cut each half into thirds (you’ll have 6 pieces when finished). Garnish with pickled ginger and wasabi and enjoy.